I never thought that I would ever write a blog, much less write one about a dog, but this isn't your ordinary dog. I got Hunter in January of 1998, much to the dismay of my parents, but I thought I need a lab for duck hunting and so the story begins. Hunter was a great dog and a loyal friend. He was always happy to see you and even happier when his kennel went on the back of the truck which meant he was getting to go somewhere (most times out to the country to swim and work on our training). He was a gentle soul and wouldn't hurt anyone, however he would let you know if he didn't like you by growling in which he did a couple of times at the local meter readers there in town. Now I know that Hunter was technically my dog, but after I moved over to College Station, Hunter became my parents dog. You could find them on the back porch in the rocking chairs and Hunter right there with them wanting to be petted and combed. We also had our moments of funnier times, in which Hunter carried the mini-pumpkins around the yard from mom's harvest display and deposited them in various places around the yard and no matter how many times she put them back they always seemed to dissappear. But as we all do as time goes by we all get older and Hunter did this very thing. Without going into too much detail, Hunter became sick and it gradually got worse and a trip to the vet, we found out that Hunter's condition wasn't good at all. The hardest decision I have ever made was on April 30, 2010, when it was decided that instead of suffer and continue to be in pain, that we have him put down. After he was put down, my dad and I picked him up and took him back out to the country for the last time and laid him to rest under an old oak tree. I think we both shed a few tears that day as we were down on our hands and knees to finish placing the dirt on his grave, but we knew he was in a better place. So with that said......Hunter you will be missed.
I am so sorry that you guys lost Hunter. I must admit, that Russell I am impressed beyond words with your blog writing abilities :) RIP Hunter.
ReplyDelete